|UrbanRail.Net > Europe > Madrid|
Ministerios station lies above the Line 10 station and on the same level
as Cercanías, under Paseo de la Castellana.
|Pinar del Rey||
- station added on the existing line
|Mar de Cristal||24-06-1998|
|Campo de las Naciones||
- this station serves the Madrid Fairgrounds (Feria de Madrid) and the Palacio de Congresos
|Aeropuerto T1 T2 T3||
- Aeropuerto station is located near Terminal 2 and also serves T1 and T3
- Barajas station serves the village of that name, next to the airport.
- this station had already been completed in early 2006 when the new airport terminal opened. Adjacent to it was a platform ready to accommodate a Renfe Cercanías station, which was eventually brought into service in Sept. 2011.
Special Features of Line 8:
Total length: ~16 km, 8 stations
Large profile line with 110 m long platforms (initially 3-car trains of class 8000 in service, later extended to 4 cars). Line 8 was initially operated with small-profile rolling stock.
1500 V dc
Airport Express Metro
On 21 May 2002, a 5.9 km stretch opened from Mar de Cristal towards Colombia (L-9) and Nuevos Ministerios (transfer to L-6, L-10 and Cercanías). Construction of the extension began in March 2000 and was partly carried out with tunneling machines (Mar de Cristal - Colombia) and by the classical Madrid method for the section Colombia - Nuevos Ministerios. At the latter station, situated in the business district of Madrid under Paseo de la Castellana, an airport check-in terminal was built. From Nuevos Ministerios the airport can be reached in 12 minutes.
At a later date another station may be added between Pinar del Rey and Colombia (under Arturo Soria Street) to create a transfer station to L-11 which will reach Chamartín one day in the future.
2006 © UrbanRail.Net (Robert Schwandl)